1. 2. 3. Adventures with Mineral Makeup | Grayburn 4. 5.

Tuesday

Adventures with Mineral Makeup

I have spent the last month or more testing an assortment of mineral makeup from different brands and in several formulas. My makeup table (made out of glass) is now completely covered with multiple colors of powders, dusts, shimmers. The effort and mess was well worth it though, because I have completely fallen in love with minerals!

I love mineral makeup for its ease in application (though it took some practicing) and for being greaseless. So what is mineral makeup? Mineral cosmetics is a whole variety of makeup (i.e. foundation, blush, eyeshadow, lipgloss and more) made from powdered minerals. They come in a large variety of colors and textures and are mostly made up of bismuth oxycholoride, zinc oxide, titanium dioxide, and mica. However, it is common for each mineral makeup company to add their own special ingredients (e.g. oat powder, antioxidants, kaolin clay etc.) to customize their product. Most of these makeup are considered 'natural' because minerals come from nature (although bismuth oxychloride is considered a synthetic, according to cctfa.ca) and are usually free from preservatives. Because the minerals are ground into powder form, they feel weightless on our skin and are great for controlling oiliness because of their absorbent properties. They also provide flexibility because you can mix and match your own shades and formulas; simply by mixing different minerals together or into other mediums. Play time with makeup has just gotten even better!

My initial reaction and experience with minerals was that it was messy. My first application of mineral foundation looked terribly caked up on my face! I honestly thought there wasn't going to be a second try. It was frustrating as I had seen so many rave comments about minerals' wonderful ability to cover flaws and creating a poreless complexion. However, I soon learned that to use mineral makeup wonderfully. It takes more than just the 'swirl, tap and buff' technique.

To achieve that desirable finish, you really need the right materials. This means you have to find the right mineral formulation for your skin type, the right primer or moisturizer with some slip, and the right brushes to apply these minerals. This trial and error process equals that of searching for the right liquid foundation. It is never an easy feat. The good thing is that most of these mineral companies, if not all, sell samples of their products. We usually cannot purchase samples of conventional liquid foundation. The availability of samples has created a whole new phenomenon. Many mineral users have now become obsessed mineral sample collectors. At the cost of around 1 USD per sample (for approx. 1/4 teaspoon), we can see why this has become an addiction for us cosmetics addicts!

I will be sharing with you the experiences I have had with my mineral samples from Lumiere, Everyday Minerals, Meow, Neutrogena & L'Oreal. These will be fairly indepth reviews so stay tuned!


Photo credits: bloomcosmetics.com

Related Posts



8 Comments:

BeautyTalk said...

I must be the only one not getting onto the mineral makeup bandwagon, but you've convinced me!

Izar said...

I can hardly wait! This is going to be so exciting! I'll keep an eye out for your next posts!

IchigoBunnie said...

thank you for your suggestions on my blog about the products :)

btw, are you a member of ABB and that's where you found me, or you just found me randomly? If you are from ABB, which sn do you go by? I'm sorry it's just that your sn here on blogspot doesn't look familiar to me :)

The Seeker said...

Thank you dear for the support on my blog.
Yes, I'm feeling excited to go shopping to Lisbon, I hadn't time to start my lists, I'm becoming a bit stressed because of that.
I want to go with an open mind to see newer things, but I also want to have some things programmed, like what makeup to look for, and so on.

I'll be looking foward your next posts, because I would like to know more about mineral makeup since are are usually free from preservatives.

Take care darling.

xoxo

Grayburn said...

Hi Beautytalk :)
Glad to have convinced someone to play with minerals as well! I've found that there are even more possibilities with minerals because you really can mix and match to get your desired effect.

Hello Izar :) !
Thanks for checking back all the time! I know that you're a recent convert to minerals as well. Thanks to you who started me out on EM's. I think you might have created a monster!

Hi ichigobunnie,
I couldn't resist looking at your lemming list and it is a good one! I'm not part of ABB but maybe I should be? I came across your blog very randomly and I'm glad that I have :)

dear seeker,
I enjoy your blog so there's no need to thank me :) It will be so nice for you to take a vacation in Lisbon, and have some of those wonderful custard tarts that they make there! I seriously lived on those tarts when I was there hehe (I ate 1 tube per day!). Glad to share my experiences with you and thanks again for always being here.

Luv,
Grayburn

alien man?! said...

A very well-written entry. I look forward to reading about your experiences! Also, thanks for coming in and saying such nice things to encourage my blog :)

I hope you update frequently. I'm adding you to my blogroll ;)

Izar said...

Yep, I've definitely been noticing signs of Mineral Makeup Mania on myself too. No wonder though, they're soooo good. I can't help it, you see: all those cute little jars with the insane amount of shimmer and gorgeous colors, I simply crave them... :-D I'm never ever going back to traditional makeup, especially when it comes to foundation.

Grayburn said...

Hi alien man?!
Wow thanks for the complement :) I frequent your blog now because I like your honesty and humor. I've just added you as well to my blogroll as well! Have a great weekend!

Hello Izar,
Yeah I can't believe I didn't get into them until now! I have the same feelings as you about them :)

Grayburn